Maximize home energy efficiency
Get ENERGY STAR certified
What is it?
ENERGY STAR: HOMES, a certification that falls under the umbrella of the EPA's well-known ENERGY STAR brand, is a powerful quality assurance program that ensures that a home is energy efficient, safe, and healthy.
How does it work?
Homes that are built to ENERGY STAR standards must meet stringent criteria regarding the home's energy usage and quality of build. As a result, an ENERGY STAR certified home is guaranteed to use less energy than homes built to standard code; on average, an ENERGY STAR certified homes are 20% more efficient. Specifically, an ENERGY STAR certified home must meet the following criteria:
- The home's thermal envelope must be built tightly and be well insulated.
- All mechanical systems, such as HVAC, must meet strict criteria regarding high efficiency and comfort.
- Building practice and design must incorporate water protection measures for roof, walls and foundation.
- ENERGY STAR appliances and high efficiency lighting are used throughout the house in order to minimize energy waste and maximize efficiency and convenience.
How does it differ from LEED for Homes and HERS?
While the LEED for Homes certification focuses on sustainable building practices such as using locally sourced materials, limiting construction waste, and using sustainable landscaping, ENERGY STAR is focused on a home's energy efficiency, air quality, and comfort. A HERS Score (implemented by a certified HERS Rater) is the system used to test and certify homes for both ENERGY STAR and LEED for Homes recognition.
Where does E3 come into the mix?
E3 INNOVATE provides essential services for ENERGY STAR certification in three ways:
- The E3 Strategy team's Design Review service and Construction Consulting provide builders, architects and homeowners with expert guidance during the home-design process. Designing and building an ENERGY STAR home can be more complex than traditional construction, but E3's knowledge and experience make it seamless and streamlined.
- E3's ECOWORKS team is equipped to implement the necessary ENERGY STAR requirements into any home, new or old. From hi-tech HVAC and automated active fresh air systems to sealing and insulating the thermal envelope, our highly trained and professional in-house field team can help bring your dream home to perfection.
- E3 INNOVATE serves as essential third-party testers who administer ENERGY STAR certifications to completed structures. All ENERGY STAR homes must be tested by a qualified HERS rater such as an E3 building scientist in order to achieve ENERGY STAR status.
Why work with E3 to certify your new home?
E3 INNOVATE has the experience and know-how to guide you through each step towards certification. Over the last 10 years serving the Nashville market, E3 INNOVATE has certified over 500 homes and was recognized in 2016 and 2017 as the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year.
Ready to start your project? Contact us to get started.