In 2016, a local builder came to E3 with a vision for his family's new high performance home. The property, tucked back on a quite country road in rural Mt. Juliet, Tennessee, was surrounded by tall old trees and acres of privacy. The builder, Michael, and his wife Marie had picked out a beautiful location for the site of their new family home.
In last month's blog, we discussed ventilation and the three methods for bringing fresh air into the home. You can read that blog HERE. At the end of the article, a comment was made about the recent ventilation code updates in Nashville-Davidson County, which stated: new homes are now required for the first time to be equipped with either a supply-only or a balanced mechanical ventilation system.
That statement needs to be corrected and clarified.
January is Radon Awareness Month. Although radon is probably the most popular indoor air contaminant, there are others we should be aware of. Particulates from mold, dust, dander, and pollen as well as volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and combustion gasses are often found inside our homes. Exposure to indoor air contaminants is inevitable, but proper ventilation can help reduce our exposure and help homeowners in Nashville, TN create healthier homes.
Last fall, a family of young professionals purchased their first home, an older home in the 12 South neighborhood that had fallen somewhat into disrepair after years on the rental market. The new owners wanted E3’s help to ensure their new home would be a healthy living space for their young family.
Have you noticed condensation on your windows lately? What does this mean? If you see condensation, you likely have high humidity levels in your home. Condensation can accumulate particularly in the kitchen, laundry room, bathrooms, or in bedrooms with adjoining bathroom. The cause? Insufficient ventilation. It’s important to address high humidity or those subtle warning signs of condensation can turn into expensive repairs.