Invisible Indoor Pollutants

We generally think of indoor pollutants as either particulates coming from allergens or mold or from gasses like radon or VOCs. But other important indoor pollutants to consider are from electromagnetic sources. Electric fields, magnetic fields, radio frequencies, and even high energy blue light can have negative effects on the body. Surprisingly, researchers have been aware of these biological impacts for nearly 90 years.

Research on the biologic effects of EMF's was first published by Russia in 1936. Later, in 1972, NASA translated this research and published the information in the U.S. It wasn't until 2012 that 29 authors - made up of PhD's, MD's, MPH's, MA's and MSc's - from ten countries published the BioInitiative Report. These authors had seen enough research to conclude that exposure to anthropogenic (i.e. man-made) electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) can have biological effects and should be minimized. 

Every year, our exposure to anthropogenic EMFs increases.  Recent research has linked this pollutant to things like oxidative stress, DNA damagesperm damage, leaks in the blood-brain barrier (which protects our brain from toxins), and cognitive impairmentsleep disturbances, brain fog, headaches, lethargy and fatigue, depression, flu-like symptoms, and even some cancers. The most fascinating part of all is that some doctors now believe that high EMF exposure can trigger or worsen other environmental sensitivities, like mold illness (CIRS) and chemical hypersensitivity, likely through the activation of mast cells.  

Although there are still a lot of unanswered questions, there is now a lot information available that suggests we should probably be using our "smart" devices in a much smarter way to avoid the health risks.

But, as any good scientist would do, don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself from the medical health experts in the upcoming EMF Hazards Summit, airing online February 2-5.


EMF Hazards Summit 2023